Guy’s and St Thomas’ NHS Foundation Trust is one of the largest NHS trusts in the UK, with a turnover of £1.5 billion, contracts with 130 clinical commissioning bodies, and 2.5 million patient contacts each year – over a million in hospital services and 810,000 in the community.
The Trust provides first-class general and specialist services from two major hospital sites that serve the local populations of Southwark and Lambeth. It is also a national referral centre for highly rated, specialist services, and is home to the Evelina London Children’s Hospital. The Trust provides a full range of community services to Lambeth and Southwark.
As part of King’s Health Partners Academic Health Sciences Centre (AHSC), Guy's and St Thomas' NHS Foundation Trust is a pioneer in health research, and provides high quality teaching and education. This partnership with King’s College London, and King’s College Hospital and South London and Maudsley NHS Foundation Trusts helps provide the latest treatments for patients alongside the best possible care.
Guy’s and St Thomas’ NHS Foundation Trust specialises in cancer, cardiovascular, dental, dermatology, imaging, children’s, renal, and women’s health services. It also provides one of the largest critical care services in London.
Guy’s and St Thomas’ NHS Foundation Trust is home to the largest dental school in Europe.
Guy’s and St Thomas’ NHS Foundation Trust has excellent clinical research facilities including a Good Manufacturing Practice Facility for the production of novel cellular therapies for first in man (phase 1) clinical trials, as well as one of the largest imaging and biomedical engineering research groups in Europe.
Guy's and St Thomas' NHS Foundation Trust is committed to pioneering clinical research. With King’s College London, the Trust hosts one of 20 Biomedical Research Centres. In 2017/18 over 19,000 people took part in clinical trials at the Trust, making it the top recruiting NHS trust in London. In the same year, it had over 500 trials running, the second highest of any NHS trust in England.
With the University of Leeds, the Trust holds the contract with the Department of Health and Social Care to provide the NIHR Clinical Research Network Coordinating Centre.
With King’s College London, the Trust hosts five Medical Research Council (MRC) centres, almost a quarter of the UK total, focusing on: transplant; asthma; developmental neurobiology; environment and health; and social, genetic and development psychiatry.
As part of King’s Health Partners, the Trust works with its local NHS and academic partners to translate leading-edge research into excellent patient care through world-class education and training.
- Guy’s and St Thomas’ NHS Foundation Trust's latest Summary Hospital Mortality Indicator is 70, well below the national average of 100.
- In the latest full year ratings, 96% of inpatients and 84% of A&E patients would recommend the Trust to family and friends.
- The Trust’s overall rating of cancer care (scored from very poor to very good), is 8.9 out of 10. The national average is 8.8.
- In the latest Staff Friends and Family Test, 94% of staff would recommend the Trust as a place to be treated (national average 81%) and 80% of staff would recommend the Trust as a place to work (national average was 66%).
- See Our Quality Story on the Trust website for further details about our performance.
Chief Executive: Amanda Pritchard